Monday, January 16, 2012

Welcome to the Ghetto

Senior year in high school. Birthday/Graduation present: a camera. A very appropriate gift for a girl of a young age, wanting to document the new and upcoming events in her life. What was absent from that lovely gift: a case for said camera. At this tragedy, I thought, "A naked camera! Definitely not acceptable in society as we know it." So, I found the next best thing... A sock from my sock drawer.

Complete with a little hole forming at the heel of my foot to be a slot for the wrist strap to be pulled through. Honestly? The cheap man's dream. On occasion, when the opportunity would permit for a picture, I would dig the sock out of my purse, posed, ready for camera action. However, upon this putrid reveal, my mother would cringe at the sight of her offspring resorting to such a primal action: keeping a camera in a sock. Personally, I loved it and thought it gave me more character than I could ever ask for. So, I kept it and never thought about it again.

The other day, however, my "problems" were solved. Liz recruited my organizing abilities to help her sort out all the lovely treasures taking home in her basement. As the sorting commenced, hundreds of unknown delicacies spilled from the piles. One said treasure being a camera case. Liz, without giving it a second thought, pushed the camera case into my hands with a look on her face of, "Here. You need this more than I do." What I have learned from this experience: people take pity on the resourceful. So, in an effort to seem completely pleasant about the whole thing and to not spite the fact that I have now been forced to become a sophisticated human being, I would like to say "Thank you, Liz" and "You're welcome, Mom".  :)

1 comment: